Monday, January 14, 2008

Raqs Sharqi Dancer

Pencil study of a Middle Eastern dancer, and the resulting piece created with colored pencil over watercolor. The dancer came out a little more voluptuous than I had planned. I see room for improvment in the way I portrayed the coins on the headpiece and the front of the belt, as well the background. Oh, and come to notice it, the raised hand isn't quite right either. Well, that's okay, mistakes are for learning from. On the plus side, I'm very happy with the hair, the skin tones and shading, and the patterned fabric of the skirts.

I could use some advice on backgrounds, though. I had a sort of abstract, gently patterned background in mind. I tried to suggest the shape of an arched window behind the dancer, but it came out pretty lame so I cropped it out of these photos. I was going to fill the window in with scrolls and flowers, sort of like the pattern on the skirts. It would look sort of busy, but then again, I like a certain busy-ness to my pictures. I like texture and richness. Sort of like a Persian miniature.


Media:

  • Colored pencils (Prismacolor, Rexel Derwent Water Colour, and Caran d'Ache Supracolor)
  • Watercolor
  • Micron pen
  • Aquarelle Arches hot pressed 140 lb. paper

No comments: