Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Patchwork Teapot

Well, I haven't posted here for a couple of months, but now I have something worth adding.


I was asked to create a flyer for a ladies' social at my church. Our guest speaker's topic will be, "What God has taught me through quilting." At first, I planned to draw something elaborate, with a teapot, a vase of spring flowers, and a quilt draped in the background. Then inspiration hit, and I decided to simplify it into a single element that summarized all the ideas.

The teapot symbolizes hospitality and refreshments, the patchwork brings in the quilting theme, and the heart symbolizes the love and fellowship we share. That leaves out spring, but I guess the flowers on the teapot will work for that. With the teapot placed in the corner of the flyer, and a "quilted" border all around the edges, the flyers came out quite nice, I think.

The teapot was colored with Prismacolor pencil over watercolor and Tombo watercolor pen. I drew it about twice the final printed size; I've found that reducing my work digitally eliminates the tiny mistakes and irregularites of the original.

No comments: